I don’t think I quite qualify to call my laziness a “sabbatical” just yet. Instead, we’ll just leave it at *I’ve been distracted*
So I think I’ll come back with something simple; nails (of course). I don’t remember where I read this cute little trick from but I remember seeing it and being like.. “THAT’S SOUNDS SO EASY” So I attempted, and I must say it came out fairly okay. It’s a DIY that looks great, is very unique, will get you many compliments, and will save you about 20-25 bucks doing it at home rather than getting it done in a salon.
*Pardon The Messiness* This was taken RIGHT after I did them so you can still see the newspaper print on my skin, and the messy edges. I was too excited not to show them off, and never took a picture of them cleaned up. But it was fun, quick, easy, and hella cute.
I remember when people saw my nails they kept asking if these were the appliques, and I told them nope, I did it my self and it was probably easier. Since doing it this way is basically the same principle as temporary tattoos. Image transference is all :D. One guy even stopped me and told me “Yea, I just did that with my daughter last night” <— that was super adorable haha.
A good White Polish (I used Sally Hansen Diamond Strength in “Flawless”)
Newspaper (Text only!!! I cut out about 10 pieces, big enough to cover each nail, to make it more manageable)
Cotton Balls (about 2-3)
- First you start out with just a base of white nails. Two coats should be good for a smooth even finish, but make sure to let them dry fully in between applications.
- Pour some rubbing alcohol into a tiny little shot glass sized cup. And dip a finger in quickly to get the nail wet.
- Place a piece of newspaper on top of the nail, making sure to cover it completely
- Then I used two different cotton balls here, one I completely soaked in the rubbing alcohol, and one dry one. First take the soaked cotton ball and use it to make sure the entire piece of newspaper is saturated for best transference. Then I used the dry cotton ball to press down for about 15 seconds. (I didn’t use the wet one to press down because the news paper kept slipping and I knew that wouldn’t provide clean words)
- Finally peel the piece of news paper off and marvel at your quick and easy nail design.
It takes a few nails attempts to get the hang of how to position the newspaper to what looks best to you. If you make a mistake you can rub it off very quickly. Let the nails dry for a minute or so just to make sure the print sets onto your nail. Then finish with a quick topcoat for the shine.
Be careful with the topcoat though, you have to apply it with quick brushstrokes because if not then you’ll end up dragging the newspaper ink text and it will blur the words on your nails.